Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: beet pulp or commercial pelleted feed?

Hi Amanda,

It truly isn't necessary to feed a pelleted feed (commercially fortified feed) if you are only feeding a small amount. You see, the vitamins and minerals in the feed are only benefiting your horse if you feed the recommended amount. Since you wouldn't be doing this, it would be better to just feed beet pulp and add the appropriate supplements.

You would also need to add salt -- yes there is some in the pelleted feed but here again, you're not feeding as much as is recommended so the horse needs extra salt. I suggest adding 1 tablespoon per meal and offer a plain white salt block if the horse decides he needs more.

Yes, you can add flaxseed meal to the beet pulp, but since you truly need a vitamin/mineral supplement, consider adding one as well. Flaxseed meal plus one such as High Point make a good combination. I know you're in Canada, but these can be shipped internationally. Or perhaps you can find something locally. If you would like to visit over the phone, we can go over what would be available to you nearby and come up with a customized plan for your horse.

If you feed beet pulp, you wouldn't feed as much of the pelleted feed. Keep in mind that beet pulp weighs about half of what a pelleted feed weighs. So, how much you feed would depend upon how much your horse needs to maintain a good weight.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Amanda
Hi there,

Thank you so much for all of the information you provide on your site, it's been so incredibly helpful! I have a 5 y.o canadian warmblood, 16.2hh and 1180 lbs, No health issues, and no problems keeping weight on her, she's very calm in general. She's currently being fed cereal grains but after reading your site I want to change her grain. I'm thinking of a prepared pelleted feed for "performance horses" she works 5-6 days a week, she's a jumper mainly, and competes.

I was also considering feeding beet pulp because you were saying its a good alternate to feeding oats, which she gets right now. Would I choose either to feed beet pulp or a pelleted feed, or would I feed a combination of both? She has free choice grass/alfalfa mix hay. Would I add flaxseed meal to both of these options, and what about bran, would I add that to both options as well? I assume the pellets don't require extra salt to be fed because they usually have salt in them, but the beet pulp would. Do you have any feeding guidelines for beet pulp if you think that would be a good addition to her diet, and if I were to feed both pellets and beet pulp, would I feed less than the recommended dose of pelleted feed?

She's also currently getting an MSM supplement daily as a preventative measure because she's still young and working hard. Is this a good idea, and if so what would the ideal dosage be for her?

Thank you so much,
Amanda

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio