Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: OTTB - feeding for winter

Hello Sarah,

First, let me suggest that you consider registering for my upcoming teleseminar, Preparing for Winter scheduled for mid-September. I believe you'll find it helpful.

In the meantime, it sounds like you're successful in giving him the additional calories he needs (which pays attention to the foregut) but you also need to pay attention to the hindgut by protecting the billions of microbes that live there. To do this, feed a good pre/probiotic -- something that contains bacterial fermentation products as well as live microbes and yeast. This will help the microbes to better digest the fiber in your horse's hay, and therefore provide calories.

Hope to "see" you in September.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Sarah Close
Hello,
Thank you so much for providing this forum for everyone!
I have an 8 year old off the track thoroughbred. I have had him for 1 year and he is on the lean side. He is on maintenance Omeprazole for an ulcer. I have finally gotten his weight up (even though he is lean) and I hope to maintain this weight throughout our cold Canadian winter - if anything I would like even more weight on him. I have purchased good quality grass hay and pure alfalfa hay for him, for the winter. He is also given flax seed, mineral/vitamin mix, magnesium, and Step 2 Peak Extruded Feed which is for hard keepers. Can you recommend anything else that I should add to his diet for the winter? I am diligent with his blankets during the winter so he doesn't have to use any extra energy and he is always free fed (in a slow feeder net) his hay. Thank you so much! Sarah

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio