Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: senior horse feed

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your patience.

There are several hay replacers on the market that you can feed instead of hay that are appropriate for older horses. ADM Alliance makes a product called, Forage First Hay Replacer. You could also feed a senior complete feed that offers at least 18% fiber, such as Purina Senior. But I recommend adding some more fiber in the form of hay cubes, broken into small pieces.

You could also make your own mixture with alfalfa/timothy cubes, broken into small pieces, with added warm water so soften them. And then add a flaxseed meal based supplement to fill in the gaps such as Glanzen Complete. You will need to feed 2 to 3% of his body weight in cubes each day.

If I can help you customize a plan for your horse, consider setting up a phone consultation appointment. That way, I can go over your horse's specific circumstances and details of his health and life, to give you a plan that will be designed for him.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

jason smith
My son's older arabian (25) has some periodontal disease that probably affects his ability to get the most out of his hay. The vet dentist is worried that when the pasture grass runs out this winter, it will be difficult for Akbar to meet his nutritional needs. We are not big grain feeders, preferring to feed hay and pasture grass as close to a natural feeding as possible. Any ideas on a feed that might help Akbar through the winter?

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio