Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Should I supplement Glanzen Lite Complete with Magnesium for pssm horse?

Hi Peggy,

If your horse is tying up, I would add some magnesium, but not very much. With PSSM, the horse is insulin sensitive so the insulin levels are generally not high, as with insulin resistance. And chromium is not indicated, as well, for this condition. Test your hay first, to see if there is enough magnesium, in relation to calcium and phosphorus.

Alfalfa cubes, beet pulp, and oil is fine (rice bran oil is best) along with Glanzen Lite Complete. The small amount of chromium in Quiessence is likely not a problem, but go with a plain magnesium supplement first -- 5,000 mg if your hay is not adequate. Premium magnesium oxide is a good choice. There should be half the magnesium level as calcium's.

One other thing -- gamma oryzanol, along with branched chain amino acids, are important for muscle protection (since muscle tends to atrophy with PSSM horses). Go with SuPer Muscle Builder as a good choice.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Peggy Finnerty
Hi Dr. Getty. Thank you for allowing us to ask you questions and learn through your forum. I've spent many hours learning here!!

I have a pssm horse and I've been looking for a safer vitamin/mineral supplement to add to his soaked alfalfa cubes, beet pulp and oil. I was using Mare Plus but it has corn, wheat middlings and molasses. I've been adding sugar free vit e and magnesium as well.

My easy keeper is out 12 hrs on coastal grass and has soaked/rinsed coastal hay in the stall. He is overweight and his back muscles and triceps are still too painful for him to be ridden. I am making diet changes one by one, seeing improvement, and decreasing or eliminating access to grass is next. For now, I am going to switch his vit/min to Glanzen Lite Complete.

I know you've written a lot about this and that you often pair Glanzen and Quiessence but if I understand you correctly my horse would be best not having the chromium and so I'm wondering if I should use a plain magnesium supplement (like I have been) or not?

thank you!
Peggy Finnerty

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio