Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horse diet

Hi Brittany,

Thank you for writing. As far as a basic vitamin/mineral supplement is concerned, you may not need one if your horses are getting at least 8 hours of grazing on healthy pasture each day. But once they are on hay more than pasture (as the weather gets colder), you should consider a flaxseed meal based supplement that fills in all the gaps that were once in fresh grass and are no longer in hay. I like Glanzen Complete. Give one scoop per 400 lbs of body weight.

Older horses require more vitamin C and digestive enzymes. I highly recommend you register to listen to my teleseminar on aging horses. You can get more information by going to this link: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/teleseminars/registration.htm -- scroll down to the previously recorded teleseminars and you'll find the one on aging horses.

If you would like me to take a close look at your horse's needs and give you a customize plan to keep them in good condition, please consider setting up a phone consultation visit.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Brittany Jernigan
Hello my name is Brittany. I am trying to start a new feeding program for my horses. I have recently went to a class on how important it is to make sure your horse is getting all the vitamins and minerals they need. I want to make sure they are getting the best I can give them. I have them both on pasture mostly. They are stalled when there is bad weather or before a show. My pasture is good and rich and there is plenty. I feed a grass hay when they are in. I have a 4 year old gelding quarter horse thats about 980lbs (15 hands). He is an easy keeper but is a hard workr. He is exercised everyday or at least 6 days a week for either an our of fast work (cow cutting, reining, barrels, poles, ect.) or a few hours of easier work (trail, rail work, ect.) so he is work pretty hard. I also have a 23 year old walking horse gelding that is about 1123lbs (15 hands). He is older so he isnt worked as hard but for his age he is getting quite a bit of exercise. He is usually worked 5-7 days a week for at least an hour of consetrated work or several hours on the trail. He use to be a 'hard keeper' He was very underweight when I first got him. Now he is quite on easy keeper. Do you have any suggestions on the correct amount of vitamins and minerals these guys will need? Any advise on what to change or add to there diets to make sure they are as healthy as I can get them?

Where are you from? Waverly, Ohio