Rob's Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Rob's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
80 mph on Motorways

I do believe that the 70 mph speed limit does not
contribute to safe driving.

The main problem on motoways is simply bad driving:-
Poor hazard pereption,bunching, insufficient following
distance, lack of or late signals etc. A rigidly enforced speed limit does nothing to improve that.

If I want to overtake on Motorways, I want to do so
quickly and decisively, giving myself a good separation distance from other vehicles. Thus I would
recommend a speed limit of 90 mph but this would be enforceable, and at the same time recommend an increased police presence and taking to task drivers
who indulge in dangerous practices such as tailgating.

Richard Dixon

Re: 80 mph on Motorways

Hi Richard,

I totally agree with you. Too many people lack awareness when driving - minds in other places I guess!

I too think 90 mph limit would be good, but have much much harder penalities for poor driving - and I dont mean driving fast per sa, but tail gaiting, middle lane sitting etc etc...
PS Thanks for joining our newsletter!!

Absolute rubbish to suggest 80 mph on motorways is safer.
Average driver, that's 99.9%, are not competent to drive at such high speeds.
A crash at 80 mph is going to increase the chances of death !

I think there is a case for the speed limit on motorway's to be increased, but driver's have to be educated as to the discipline ie lane's, following distance, etc when using a motorway. The higher the speed the worst the accidents and injuries would be.

yes i agree, the 70 limit on motorways is rediculous, it was set in the 70,s by the then transport minister Barbara Castle MP, ( who didnt have a driving license) The safety of new vehicles with ABS brakes, wider tyres, had increased safety considerably,however the overall general driving standards in the country with drivers hogging the overtaking lane/s and all vehicles following behind each other bunched together at 70 is totally mad, a farari at 90 is a lot safer than a citroen diane at 60!i think 90 on a motorway max in good dry weather for newish cars is fine, ( observing highway code stopping distances!and good driving practice.

To a degree, I would agree with what everybody is saying. Although I think there are safety concerns for inexperienced or poor drivers.
The increased stopping distance, even with such a minor increase in speed and the poor hazard perception of most drivers, many of whom are distracted anyway, would probably lead to far more deaths on the motorway.
Maybe a slight exemption could be put in place for advanced drivers?