Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does alfalfa cause founder?

Thanks, but what is a probiotic preparation? Sorry I have not had to delve into the world of feeds until just recently as Bert used to eat just normal hay, etc.

joyce

Where are you from? Bancroft

How did you locate this forum? by accident

Hi Joyce,

A probiotic is generally a mixture of bacteria and enzymes that help a horse maintain a healthy bacterial flora inside the hind gut. There are several on the market – ProBios is one that is popular. You can purchase a probiotic at your local feed store or on line. You’ll want to offer this every day until his stools are normal, and then once each week.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions. That’s why I’m here.

Dr. Getty

Thankyou, I will check with the local feed store tomorrow first thing. I will let you know how the old guy is doing.

Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!

Joyce

Where are you from? Bancroft

How did you locate this forum? by accident