Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Young off the track mare with hock problems

Hi Cynthia,

Grain is generally appropriate for working horses that need additional carbohydrates for energy. The important factor in feeding grain to healthy horses is to not overfeed, so the grain doesn't end up in the hind gut.

But, the research on grain in horses' diets has been available for years. Recently, major feed companies have made changes to provide low starch feeds based on this research.

Alfalfa is best to offer on a daily basis because consistency in the diet is important for gut health. If you give her a cube or two when you see her, it will be fine, but any more than that, and you'll need to provide a daily supply.

But, my main concern for your horse is the lack of hay for many hours. Talk to your barn manager about this. You may have to spend more to get your horse fed properly.

There is no blood test that will detect borderline deficiencies in her diet. That's why a comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement is so important to fill in the gaps. If you would like for me to do a thorough analysis for you, I do offer that service and it may be helpful so you can make the best decisions regarding her needs.

I hope this is helpful. See what you can do about her barn situation. You may find that a new barn is the best bet for all concerned.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO