Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sweating

Hi Dr. Getty!

Well, the vet came yesterday. Said she's in good health and has great teeth. They need to be floated but not urgent. Next on my to-do list.

Boy was I off on her weight. He said 1,050 and that she needs another 100. Fortunately she gets the free hay and I was already feeding 8 lbs of feed a day so we were ok there. She's FINALLY starting to slow down on the hay. I thought she was going to eat us out of house & home faster than we anticipated!

He couldn't explain the sweating since she's showing no other signs of ill health. She already has somewhat of a winter coat & he mentioned Cushings (scared me to death!) But he felt like that really wasn't the case as she has none of the symptoms except the sweating. He said to just watch her over time.

My question is still back to you on feed. I told him I switched to Nutrena sweet feed at purchase. I guess he thought that I was a "Nutrena" person & recommended Safe and Sound for the low starch & higher fat content. We discussed her problem w/pellets & he said to set up the feeder (like you did), wet the feed, spread it out, & I should have no problems. I'm afraid he may have not mentioned all my options because he thought I favored Nutrena. I know he's a Purina man! I trust my vet & he's a very experienced horseman outside of his practice.

But, I trust you with feeding issues more than anyone and really want your approval or suggestions. Those pellets scare me w/her history but his instructions make sense to me also. What do you think?

Thank you so much for your help with this! You really are wonderful to help so many people. I don't know when you find time for yourself!

Bless you,
Sherry

PS, still waiting on an ok from the HOA about a mini burro. That would just tickle me pink. I'll let you know what they say.

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, TX

How did you locate this forum? Lynette

Re: Sweating

Hi Sherry,

I understand your fear of feeding pellets, so there is no need to feed them if you feel there is any risk. You have other options. You can feed a senior feed -- they are not pelleted. Or, and this is my preference, you can feed a moistened beet pulp, some alfalfa pellets, and a good flaxseed-meal based supplement like Reitsport to provide all the vitamins and minerals she needs, along with extra support for her joints and hooves.

About the possibility of cushings... watch how she sheds her winter coat this coming spring. The main sign of cushings is a winter coat that is difficult to shed.

I hope you get that burro!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO