Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Best Horse Feed

Hi Dr Getty,

Well, my search for Ration Plus and Vita Flex Hardkeeper in Ontario Canada has come up empty. I can't seem to find these products in Ontario at all. I had another product brought to my attention that was the replacement for the Hard Keeper which is Farnham Body Builder. Have you heard of this product? Or do you know where I could get either Ration Plus or Hard Keeper in Canada?? Desperately seeking supplements!!

Where are you from? Ontario

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo

Re: Best Horse Feed

Hi Kim,

You are wise to be cautious. Oversupplementation is one of my concerns and I pay close attention to this when making recommendations to clients.

Both Ration Plus and HardKeeper will go very well with your current feeding plan. Ration Plus is a prebiotic, providing nutrients to the bacterial flora in the hind gut. The result is more calories from forage, resulting in weight gain. And HardKeeper is a fat supplement high in omega 3 fatty acids.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Best Horse Feed

Hi Kim,

I believe you mean Weight Builder -- that's made by Farnam and it is basically the same as Hard Keeper (Vita Flex is a division of Farnam). So, if you can find the Farnam product, that will be fine.

About Ration Plus -- go to State Line Tack's website: www.statelinetack.com. They have a store locator in the upper right hand corner and and there is at least one store in Ontario, that I found. They carry Ration Plus on their website, so they may have it in their stores.

Let me know if you're successful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO