Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: horse loosing weight

Hi my mare is 24 and she has been loosing a lot of weight, i have been giving her weight gainer, i got her teeth done, but nothing seems to work. Do you have any suggetsions?
Thanks! Donna Woodward

Where are you from? Etlan Virginia

How did you locate this forum? Ask.com

Hi Donna,

Weight loss can be a result of several problems, the most common of which is poor teeth. However, you mentioned that her teeth are in good shape. So, continue to have them checked/floated every 6 months if necessary.

Proper worming is also important in maintain adequate weight. And, you're on the right track with that.

A change in location, or any stressful event can trigger weight loss. If your mare has recently lost a buddy or a new horse has been introduced, this could result in weight loss. Competing for food or hay is also something to rule out.

You didn't mention what you are feeding her, but an adequate level of fat in the diet is very important for maintaining weight in older horses. Flaxseed meal is very helpful. Consider Nutra Flax.

Also, I recommend Ration Plus to help her get all the calories she needs from her forage. Ration Plus will boost the overall health of the bacterial flora in the hind gut.

These are a few ideas, however, it could be more complex. A complete bloodwork analysis would be warranted along with a medical examination.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

hi again i have been also given her hard keeper in her senior feed. iam going to try corn oil too in her feed. and i will try to call you on the phone soon thank for your help Donna

Where are you from? Etlan Virginia

How did you locate this forum? Ask.com

Hi Donna,

That's fine to add. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Dr. Getty,

Would you also recommend NutraFlax and Ration Plus for a 20yo horse who is hypo-thyroid with a history of laminitis?

He has always been an easy keeper, but is losing weight now for no apparent reason. He's currently on SafeChoice & some basic vitamins you've recommended in the past, plus Thyo-L. His thyroid levels are perfect as long as we maintain him with the Thyo-L. Vets can find nothing wrong with him, he's just getting ribby as he gets older.

Thanks so much!

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? Google

Hi Monica,

My first thought was that his dosage of thyroid medication is too high, causing him to lose weight. So, if you can cut back on this a tad, that may be the fix. And, have his bloodwork tested every 3 months.

Also, his teeth can play a major role in weight loss. They should be floated at least once each year, but some horses require it done every 6 months.

Yes, Nutra Flax and Ration Plus are fine for him. But, I would want to know what it causing his sudden weight loss, since he is not that old and it is generally caused by underlying factors. So, if you want to delve further, please let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO