Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hay/Turnout

Hi Sue,

Congratulations!

Yes, 10 acres is certainly sufficient for your horses to graze on all day. Keep in mind that they will likely need a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. And, while they are not grazing, you can supply grass hay along with some alfalfa, to graze on throughout the day. Two flakes will not likely keep them with something to chew on at all times, so please consider offering enough grass hay so that they do not run out.

For your horse that needs to have his potassium monitored, you'll want to avoid alfalfa and have your hay analyzed for its potassium level.

If you need help with analyzing the big picture for all of your horses, I'd be delighted to offer you a customized plan. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Have fun!! Thanks for writing,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO