Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fat dressage horse with diarrhea. Help!

Thanks so much, Dr. Getty. I'm going to try the biosponge. But first, I'm taking him back to hay only for a week to see if it's the oat or alfalfa that's the problem. If the oat is too rich, I was thinking of switching to bermuda.

Once I know about the hay, I was planning on adding the platinum performance on its own for a week, then the daily wormer. Assuming everything's OK, I'll add the biosponge. Does that sound like a good first step?

Where are you from? Los Angeles

How did you locate this forum? Referred by udbb.com

Also, the feeding is very consistent, with the exception of the carrots which I feed after I ride, but my trainer doesn't. So he gets them 3-4 times per week. I don't think I can afford to replace them with the treats you suggested--they're $60 for a 2lb tub, whereas the carrots are $25 per month for a weekly delivery of 25lbs.

Do you think I could get away with continuing to feed carrots if I cut the amount in half? I could share my weekly bag with a friend. Phox LOVES them so much!

Re. the worm infestation issue. Wouldn't that make him lose weight or condition? If not, do you think I should use the wormer you suggested immediately after the hay-only week?

Where are you from? Los Angeles

How did you locate this forum? Referred by udbb.com

Hi Savannah,

Bermuda hay is a much better choice for an insulin resistant horse, so go with that if you have it available. Oat hay is not at all nutritious and is also high in starch. So, avoid that one if possible.

The Skode's treats are certainly more expensive than carrots, but not as much as you mentioned. I believe you were looking at the combo price of more than one 2 lb tub. Nevertheless, an "easy keeper" should not have carrots because of their high sugar content. So, one carrot, once in a while -- but you really aren't doing your horse any favor, even though they are so well liked! Alfalfa cubes are fine as treats, broken into small pieces.

About the worming, most horses benefit from the Power Pak so the timing in not as significant. But, I would use the biosponge first and and see how that works before doing the worming.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO