Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wheat bran

Hi Zoe,

Actually I like the feed you described. It has canola oil, not soybean oil, which is great. The Soybean Meal does not have as much fat as plain soybean oil and is highly nutritious. Soybean oil, however, is high in omega 6s, which increase inflammation and therefore, are not appropriate for arthritis. But, Canola oil's omega 6 content is very low. It is mostly omega 9 (monounsaturated fatty acids)and also has some omega 3s, which decrease inflammation. And, it doesn't contain cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, etc.). Soybean hulls are an excellent source of fiber and protein and boost the quality of grass hay since soy and alfalfa are legumes.

Don't bother with hair analyses -- they are not accurate. A simple CBC will give you an idea of the health of the immune system, red blood cell count, as well as kidney and liver function.

So, go with this feed and lots of grass hay, water, salt, and you're set! Consider a joint supplement that contains both glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, for his arthritis. You're likely to find one locally.

And, if you like, let's set up a time to visit after the first of the year to go over his health conditions to fine tune the diet.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your quick reply Dr. Getty, I will order the feed, and stop the added minerals (though I would still like to try the hemp - will send you the info I have when you are back from your holidays). I had always heard that soya feeds are hormonal, and as I have never considered feeding it before, have never looked into this statement further (perhaps it is totally unfoundered?) am, however, really concerned about feeding my horses GM foodstuffs, and try to purchase sprayfree (if not organic); but will make an exception here as I cannot find a complete horse feed that meets these requirements (perhaps I should start a feed company out here!!!). I also forgot to mention that I do have my mare on Recovery EQ (I believe you are familiar with this brand of glucosomine suppliment). Have a great christmas!

Where are you from? Originally New Zealand, now living in the interior of BC, Canada

How did you locate this forum? Through the \\\'Natural Horse People\\\' website

Happy New Year, Zoe!

I hope you had a wonderful holiday. I'll look forward to receiving the material you have on hemp.

Soybeans do contain phytoestrogens, as do oats, corn, carrots and apples. Too much soy, of course, is never a good idea and I would not, therefore, feed it exclusively. But, adding soy to the diet is beneficial. And, phytoestrogens have a protective effective on the body by reducing the formation of some cancers that are influenced by high levels of animal estrogens.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO