Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: udder developement

Vickie,
As long as she is healthy and she has no 'bag', I wouldn't worry. I have a mare that leaked milk for years after her last foal was born...in fact, she passed away at age 33 and even at that age, she dripped milk.
Dr.Getty might want to add something.

Where are you from? Wyoming

Hi Vicki,

I would recommend that you contact www.completefoalingmanual.com where you can discuss this type of question with Theresa Jones, author of The Complete Foaling Manual.

My area of expertise is Nutrition and your concern is out of the realm of my ability to adequately assist you.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi all,
I just wanted to give my two cents. The Complete Foaling Manual is a MUST HAVE book. It gives pictures of what the udders should look like, what each stage of labor looks like and what it looks like if something is going wrong. It also gives you advice for when things are going wrong... (which isn't very often.) After your foal is born the book takes you step by step what should happen when. My mare had her fist foal in 2006 and I was soooooooo glad I had the book. It's exciting, scary, and wonderful all at once!! I counted each and every day and I was fortunate enough to be there when her foal was born......... agh, what an experience!!!!
We'll be looking forward to your announcement!!!! When is she due?
Lynette

Thank you Lynette! Your description of The Complete Foaling Manual is accurate and surely is a must-have for anyone whose mare is pregnant -- especially for those who have little experience with foaling. It will make the reader wise, indeed!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO