Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cushions horse with major laceration

Hello Wendy,

Thank you for your patience in my getting to your question. I'm sorry to hear about your gelding's injury and yes, I definitely recommend adding vitamin C to his diet to serve as an antioxidant. Also, older horses should be on vitamin C supplementation as a matter of course, since they no longer produce enough of it on their own. Vitamin C plays a major role in the production of collagen -- which is the protein found in healthy bones and joints.

Antioxidants such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E and others, will help neutralize the damaging free radicals that are formed where there is an injury. PreOx is an antioxidant preparation worth considering.

I also am seeing positive results with placing honey on the wound several times each day. Manuka Honey is particularly worthwhile. Though a "non-conventional" treatment, it is one that is being prescribed more and more by health professionals.

Thank you for writing. I hope this is helpful and please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO