Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My horse seems to be getting bored of the beet pulp

Hi Dr. Getty,
Im also wondering about this...my horse is starting on beet pulp, but after the second time he tried it he stopped eating it. Ive added his grain to it, Nutrena Senior Food (he had 2 colic surgeries last year) but he still wont eat it (hes very pickey ). One of my friends reccomended cinnemon, which would make his coat shinier. But Im not sure. Is this a good choice or would you reccomend something different?
Alli

Where are you from? Blackstone

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: My horse seems to be getting bored of the beet pulp

Hi Alli,

Are you feeding sweetened beet pulp or the unsweetened variety? Pellets or shreds? The sweetened beet pulp has very little sugar and since you're feeding Senior feed, your horse can likely have the sweetened shredded (more palatable) beet pulp.

Cinnamon does not do anything to the hair coat. It has been shown to help with circulating insulin levels, to some extent. Flaxseed meal, such as supplements that are flaxseed meal based -- Glanzen Lite -- for picky eaters -- would be a good choice.

Try adding some alfalfa pellets to your soaked beet pulp. Most horses adore alfalfa and this will also boost the overall quality of the protein in your horse's diet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO