General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone out there?

Too true Steve. Personally it may come too late for some of us, but you never know

Hi John
Still here and still breathing. Just.
I still check the website fairly regularly.
I agree everyone must be in hiding with the lack of posts.
Please keep going Den, it's good to know there are still some of us left.

Hey up John, Boris Taylor here. I admit it's been a while since I last checked up the website, just too busy at work to even think about it. Yep, still in after all these years. 2 years left and then feet up. Take care Chief, I still remember Christmas Day at your house with Geordie Williams. Good times. Speak soon. Boris.

Bloody hell, didn't think they're were any of you left in the mob. I believe you got your Tate & Lyle, so well done. Yes, I remember the two of you at Christmas - enjoyed those days. I am still working, albeit currently from home due to being a highly vulnerable person (wouldn't believe it would you)

Great times, a lots changed since then and unfortunately most of it not for the better, and I'm no where near as drinking fit as I was post Germany. Yep, got my Tate and Lyles up in 2014. Still a cabbage but potentially a dinosaur by today's standards, hahaha. Good to know you're still going strong. Take care mate.

Just wondered why some of the names are highlighted in yellow?

Hi Dee. The yellow highlights are people I have lost contact with via email (the last time I sent something out, it got bounced back). If you want to complete the members form again with your current email address, I'll update my records.
Den Rayner

Hi

I check every so often to see what is happening.

Hope you are well and staying safe

Yes. Still looking at the site. I was a rigger on the OCU 1975-76. Busy times. Always chasing names and details of 64sqn.

Hi all, still alive and kicking and living in Ipswich. I am sure there is quite a few left and it would be good to have a Post Covid meet.
Pat Johnson
Faggot leader 56Sqn

I’m still on planet Earth πŸ˜‚. Not sure how long for tho - am wrong side of 70 now ( KOS). I’m still up for a post Covid meet before too many more of us end up (pushing up daises) πŸ˜‚

Pat, were you in the Falklands in 1986 - opposite shift to me - when 1435 Flt had to mount a parade for 23Sqn Colour presentation?

Stay safe everyone! And Merry Christmas to all Phantomeers! πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠπŸ»πŸ₯‚πŸ₯ƒπŸ·πŸΉπŸΊπŸŽ

Ps - I still miss all the beer-calls, hic!

Hi Roger, I was in the Falklands the very beginning of '83. One of the few who met Maggie Thatcher when she visited.
Pat.

Hi Roger

I am definitely up for a post covid reunion, like you I am into my seventies, but still fairly active, especially with RAFA Wings Appeal. It was Kipper who told me you were considering trying to get enough of us to commit to a post covid bash, so the best of luck. Thanks for plugging my "Wrinkly Ride", I have raised £1130-00 to date, for Wings Appeal 2020.
Hope all the Phantomeers still with us are safe, and that 2021 will be a better year for all us KOSs.

Best wishes

Steve Hanson

Hi everyone
Must admit I haven't checked the site for a while. Been converting some old photo slides to digital during lockdown. Found a couple from 23 Sqn APC Malta 1976. Have sent them to Den so hopefully they'll show up in the gallery at sometime.
Stay safe all
John

Cheers John Looking forward to seeing them

Hi John,

Good to hear from you - your pics are now in the 23(F)Sqn Gallery.

Stay Safe all of you Phantomeers - we will have at least ONE more get together for interested parties after all this crap is under control (notice I didn't say "over"!!)

Hi everyone,
Yes SOC still alive and kicking and up for a meet when safe to do so. Glad to see some of you old buggers still around. Like a lot of guys not been on this site for some time. Hopefully get some crusty KOS's up for a chat.

Hi Steve, were we on 14Sqn, Bruggen, together? Pat

Hi John and everyone, yes, I check the site from time to time. I confess that I didn't look at the forum on my last visit, but I guess that I check in around every 3 months; always hoping that something is going down somewhere.

Yep, still here and checking in occasionally. Definitely up for a post covid bash.

Me too Danny! Hic! 🍺🍺

Yes, I look occasionally and look forward to meeting up with people in one form or another after this **** has passed

Hopefully not too far in the future...

Fingers crossed John.

Has anyone seen or heard of Tiny McClucas? He gave me his email address and I lost it before I could use it.

Hi
I am here
Paul Hayden 228 ocu from 1976 to 78

Hi Steve, great to see you are still out there. Many happy?? memories of our time in the Falklands 1982-1983 and Wildenrath.
Do you remember the Mixed Fruit pudding and wine **** ups we had in our rooms on the Coastel? somewhere i have a picture of you, Trog and Mick Hammond in my room, totally smashed with Hammond eating my big toe!! but there again he was a "Leckie"
take care,
stay safe,
Dick Elvin

Hello there Dick, how the devil are you??

Hello John, such a long time and so many great memories!! thank you for getting in touch via the site. After 24 years on Phantoms its a bit difficult to know where to begin! As I recall we first met at Conningsby 1974 forming up 23Sqn, and it all went down hill from there!! then the move to Wattisham and the drive from Shotley AMQ's to camp every day.I can honestly say that our shift on 23 had some of the best guys I ever worked with, you, Paul Smith,Kev Bovis, my boss John Hazzard, Les Barron and of course my brother Ray.And of course all the detachments.
The loss of Paul Smith came as a great shock to me, I was on 92sqn at Wildenrath and coudn't make it back for his funeral' I lost my brother Ray to the big "C" 12 years ago, life has not been the same since. I finished my time on Phantoms at Wattisham on the Phantom aedit working with Kipper Watt, Andy Newton, Ray, Ken Brown Brian Cardy as Flt Sgt and Mike Wight as the boss. I remember one of the last acts Ray I did whist on the aedit was to take a pair of bolt cutters and cut through all the INAS cables in the rear cockpit of a kite that was due to be scrapped and I remember working on that aircraft in 1968 at Conningsby on 228 OCU as a brand new LAC!! How time flies!
When the Phantom finished I was posted to Wittering teaching Harrier but then got a side ways move to become the Deputy Station Health and Safety Officer !! Go figure, how to become Mister Popular and the most hated person on the station all in one go! Finally I got my promotion to C/T and was posted back to Conningby on 56sqn Tonka's as Quality and Safety Manager. So that John, is 26 years in a very small nut shell. Like you John, there are so many people on this site that I know, have worked with over the years or know by reputation!!
It has been an honour John, would I do it all again? you bet your ass!!
Once again, thank you for getting in touch, I hope you and the family are fit and well,
take care John,
Dick Elvin

Yes, Paul Smith was a tragic loss. I have my own theories but we'll never know why. I also heard about Ray but didn't know why. Ironic, but I also have cancer. I was diagnosed as terminal/incurable back in Feb 2019 but, to date, am leading a "normal" life thanks to a relatively new TKI drug - and it doesn't help I also have AF (irregular heart beat). However I'm only just giving up work, and still get out for a few beers regularly so nothing's changed there. I must admit 23 Sqn had a lot of crazy characters, and life at Shotley was "interesting"

Hope you are keeping safe - I presume you've retired - and maybe we'll catch up at the next reunion.

John

I’m still checking the site now and then. I haven’t been reading the forums as often as I should though.
I’ve spent the last four years contracting to the Temora Aviation Museum in New South Wales, Australia. I’ve been lucky to be able to perform the Major Maint on the Canberra here. She’s just flown for the first time in 11 years and is going great. We also converted her to electric start! She’s ex RAF WJ680 and was on the display circuit as G-BURM in the 90s.
I’m retiring at the end of the year and moving to warmer winters in Queensland where the seafood is delicious.
I would love to see another reunion although a more informal one than 2015 but it is a bit of a trip to attend.
Best wishes to all.

Johnny Boy will hopefully catch up with you In Skipton have booked accom there for 17th Sept

Hi John, don’t know if you remember’Boris’ Taylor, he was in the MCS Bay at Leuchars and is currently a WO at Coningsby, retires this year in November

Hello Soc, looks like the meds are still doing their job so should be there in Sep

Got to admit, I havnae checked in here for donkeys ages.....
Looking forward to seeing all the peeps at Skipton next month!!